Adlai Champorado: Sweet Treat with Gluten-Free Grain for Mom
May 09, 2018
For most of us, nothing beats the home-cooked meals prepared by the person who loves us unconditionally—Mom.
But this Mother’s Day, bond with her in the kitchen or let her take a break from cooking and treat her with an unforgettable dish she’ll surely appreciate.
Instead of spending thousands for jewellery, making reservations at a fancy restaurant or searching for the best spa deals and packages, why not roll up your sleeves and whip up this healthy breakfast recipe.
Make mom’s special day extra sweet and special by adding a twist to the usual champorado. Instead of using glutinous rice, locally known as malagkit, why not serve a healthier alternative—Adlai Champorado. Adlai, a gluten-free grain, has been used for medicinal purposes in China. Also known as Job’s Tears, these high-fiber and protein-packed grain has been reintroduced as an alternative to rice. With local and organic ingredients from ECHOstore, this easy-to-cook recipe will make your mama proud.
Adlai Champorado Recipe
1 cup Adlai
4 cups water
2 cups coconut milk
3 tablets of cacao (Tablea)
1/3 cup Muscovado sugar
coconut chips (optional)
chewy fruit mix (optional)
- Soak the Adlai overnight or at least 3 hours before cooking to shorten the cooking time. Rinse and transfer to cooking pot
- In a large stewing pot, place water and coconut milk and add the soaked Adlai.
- Place on medium high heat and bring to a boil. Stir in tablea and sugar until melted and combine with other ingredients.
- Cover the pot and allow to cook on medium heat, stirring every so often until the mixture thickens.
- Add more hot water if mixture thickens too much. Add more sweetener as desired.
- Leftovers may be stores in the ref and reheated by adding some liquid to mixture.
- Top with coconut chips and chewy fruit mix.
To make cooking more fun and easy, get ECHOstore’s Adlai Champorado DIY Kit at our branches in Salcedo Village in Makati City, Serendra in Taguig City, Podium in Ortigas ,and Centris in Quezon City.
Posted in New By Echo Store