Arroz a la Cubana
- For the Sautéd Grounds:
- 2 tbsps canola oil or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece large onion, chopped
- 500 grams Wonder Grounds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced potatoes
- 1/4 cup bell peppers
- 1/4 cup raisins (pre-soak in warm water about 1 hr before cooking the grounds)
For the fried plantains:
- 4 pcs ripe plantains
- Cooking oil for frying
- Other ingredients:
- 4 pcs fried sunny side up
- 4 cups cooked plain white rice
- On medium heat, sauté the garlic in oil until golden in color. Add in the onions and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the Wonder Grounds, salt, pepper, paprika, tomato paste, sugar, and soy sauce. Sauté on high heat until the moisture is dry (5-10 mins) and oil exudes from the mixture. Cook further for 3-5 mins until the mixture is browned.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, bell pepper. Stir, cover, and let it simmer for about 30 mins. Watch & stir occasionally. You may add some water, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well to deglaze the pan each time. A caramelized sauce is what we are aiming for so don't add too much liquid at once or it will dilute the flavor.
- Try a spoonful of the grounds and adjust the taste according to your liking - add some more soy sauce, pepper, or tomato paste. Set the beef aside will you prepare the plantains and eggs.
COOK THE PLANTAINS AND EGGS:
- Cut the plantains on the horizontal to make 2 slices per plantain. Pan fry in a little bit of oil, preferably on a non-stick pan until golden brown and cooked.
- Fry the eggs individually as preferred.
Portion 1 cup of rice, a few plantain slices, a fried egg, and a quarter of the meat on a plate. Enjoy!